StudyBoss » Sociological Imagination In Sociology Essay

Sociological Imagination In Sociology Essay

The sociological imagination is a complex concept that involves many components to make it whole. One component of the sociological imagination is that it is inspired by a readiness to view the world from the perspective of others. The imagination also includes stepping back from looking at the individual, and instead taking a focus on the social, economic, and historical circumstances that surround the issue that could have caused the problem. Furthermore, the sociological imagination allows for correlations to be made from the micro level to the macro level and back again. To have the type of mind frame needed to effectively use the sociological imagine, one must be willing to question their structural arrangements that help form the…

None of the four boys were in the same social ranking in the schools hierarchy. The first young man was a theatre kid who didn’t have many friends and was very studious. The second one was considered very popular, knowing everyone in their grade, and was also a huge partier and was in the drug realm. The third boy was shamed for being gay, but accepted by his close friends and family, and was also known to be very charismatic and outgoing. And the fourth one was an athlete and had very many friends as well as maintained good grades. These four young gentlemen, although they were not all part of the same subcultures in their social environment, they all shared the common subculture of…

Lake Forest is 48.5% male leaving the female population to be 51.5%. The median age of a Lake Forest resident is 46.3 years, whereas in the state of Illinois it is 37.2 years. Information from the census that was collected closet to 2012, states that the median household income for Lake Forest was $142,223 which is over half of the Illinois median at $56,210. The ethnic background of the Lake Forest could have also added to the pressures and stigmas found in the community. The white population was 90.2% of the population, the Asian population was 4.6%, the Hispanic population was at 2.8%, those who identified as two or more ethnicities were 1.2%, Black alone was at 1%, and the American Indian population and those who identified as a different race alone were both at .1% (Lake Forest 2013). Through this information it is clear that there is a hefty amount of social stratification among the social classes in Lake Forest. By looking at the data, it apparent that each family in the community can be considered to be in a higher socioeconomic social class, as they flat out earn more money then the rest of the state in totality. Even if everyone technically has money, there is still a disparity seen between those who have more and those who have less. The ability to afford certain things that allow individuals to feel as though they are a part of the…

Cite This Work

To export a reference to this article please select a referencing style below:

Reference Copied to Clipboard.
Reference Copied to Clipboard.
Reference Copied to Clipboard.
Reference Copied to Clipboard.