2. 5 Differentiation Candidates model and facilitate the design and implementation of technology-enhanced learning experiences making appropriate use of differentiation, including adjusting content, process, product, and learning environment based upon an analysis of learner characteristics, including readiness levels, interests, and personal goals. The Diversity Module was a module that consist several components. The module required that I listed my initial thoughts about teaching English Language Learners, study ELL content, take quizzes, implement lessons with a student, and complete post-reflections.
I was fortunate enough to be able to complete this assignment with an English Language Learner student in a colleague’s 4th grade class. Standard 2. 5 Differentiation requires modeling and facilitation of the design and implementation of technology-enriched learning experiences using an appropriate amount of differentiation strategies. Within the ELL Module, there were several differentiation strategies that were being used. To module and facilitate, I used what I learned from the module information to create different lessons to accommodate my student.
Although my student appeared to be on an advanced level of English proficiency according to ACCESS, English was still his second language. He has been learning the English language since pre-kindergarten. Therefore, I still decided to use many of the ELL strategies with him in order to design and implement my lessons. Using technology-enriched strategies, I decided to adjust the content and process by breaking down unfamiliar words with the use of digital pictures, videos, PowerPoint’s, context clues, and flash cards.
I slowed down my delivery to my student by making sure that I pronounced every sound clearly and pointing to pictures of items that I felt he may not really understand or know throughout the lesson. I allowed him to stop me or I may stop the lesson to have a discussion about different words. We practiced a strategy of writing down new words with meaning that he did not understand that were not vocabulary terms in the lessons. I decided to keep his learning environment the same. We always worked in his classroom.
I wanted him to be able to work in an environment that he was already most comfortable in. Before the lessons, I decided to engage in casual conversation with my student in order to learn more about her personally and gain a sense of his learning characteristics. Per our conversation, I was able to identify what were his interests and hobbies, where he was originally from, his role in his family, what he would like to be when he grows up, and his goals for fourth grade and in her future.
In the artifact, I named most of these characteristics within the Description section. I was able to discover that he is on the high end of the spectrum when it comes to English proficiency. However, I also discovered that there are several English words that he still does not understand. Therefore, this experience made me aware that there is always room for growth and he must continue receiving his ELL services.
From this experience, I learned that just because an English Language Learning student appears to understand social language and does well within the classroom setting, does not mean that they completely understand English in an academic setting. This module has helped me to understand that you cannot approach all ELL students the same due to their culture background and characteristics. I learned that there were many strategies that I already used within my classroom, such as using visuals and videos.
Also, I realized that the same strategies that used with my ELL students could be used with my struggling learners within my classroom. To improve the quality of the artifact, with the proper quantity of ELL students, I would have worked with a younger student who was least proficient with the English language. It would have given me another perspective with trying more of the strategies that were offered within the module readings. The work that went into completing the ELL Module impacted student learning and faculty development.
This module helped me to further develop and strengthen my skills as a proficient teacher by learning new strategies where can teach and deliver effective lessons that will be received and understood by all students regardless of their primary language. These new strategies will help to increase student understanding of the class content. I could also use my new knowledge to help other colleagues to improve their lessons and promote cultural awareness. The impact can be assessed based off of the students’ success after the implementation of ELL strategies within class lessons.