The profession of a lawyer in many people is associated with success, stability and solid earnings. Therefore, it is much more difficult to enter a law school than to other faculties. But the presence of a diploma does not mean that the career will be successful. As in any field, jurisprudence has its own rules and subtleties, which will help to get a job. How to start a career as a lawyer? What is worth thinking about for students and students who would like to take place in this specialty?
To become a good lawyer, it is not enough to learn the laws. It often happens that each of their items can be interpreted in different ways, depending on the situation. And how – you can learn only in practice. Therefore, law students who plan to build a career in this area, it is recommended to start working during the training. And it’s not right where to place a “free cashier!”, But to a law firm, to a jury at large enterprises, to courts, to an assistant to a notary – in general, to where you would like to work after receiving a diploma.
It is necessary to begin a career from the first base step, gradually accumulating experience, developing a network of professional contacts. It’s okay if your career starts with a courier in a law firm or with a junior assistant lawyer (often these posts are combined). This work will allow you to see and understand all aspects of the profession: how does one or another state body work, how to communicate with representatives of state structures, with employees of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, etc. Do not be afraid to offer any innovations in the work, do not hesitate to ask questions. It is better to admit that you do not know this aspect or are not strong in this category, than after the work done to correct it. Honesty and frankness will play into your hands, as the employer will see in your work an interest in the profession and a desire to delve into it, mastering more complex cases.
In the legal field, a good start may be an internship. Ideal – when, after its successful passage, the candidate receives a proposal for permanent employment. But if you promise only an internship, do not immediately reject this proposal. So they can say that applicants have no false hopes for employment. If you prove yourself as a responsible and motivated employee, you will join the team, you will cope with the tasks, it is likely that you will still sign the employment contract. It is not superfluous to agree in advance on a written recommendation after the internship. If you do not get a job, you will have a tip-characteristic on your hands – building a career with this document will be easier.
Experienced lawyers recommend first think about the direction in which I would like to develop. Now highly specialized lawyers are more in demand: as practice shows, it is their work that is paid higher than the work of colleagues with a broader profile. Study judicial practice in the chosen direction, review laws, amendments – you should be aware of the latest changes.
Find a dream company. The first resume should be sent to the companies where I would like to build my career. If you are refused an internship, find out when you open a job. Probably, trainees are recruited only in certain months (for example, during the holidays) or they take one person per month. So you will know when you can apply next time.
If you are not picked up. If the matter is not in the absence of a vacancy, specify why you did not come up, what work experience is important, whether you have a chance to find a job in the future. So you will show a clear confidence in the desire to work in this company. If you can not get an internship here, ask them to recommend a company that needs helpers.
To pass the career ladder from the lowest step is an indispensable condition for the formation of a professional in the field of jurisprudence; therefore, one has to agree to the role of an assistant lawyer with minimal legal duties, but with access to documents and works of senior lawyers. How to behave at work trainee, so that he was taken into the staff? Mindfulness, quickness, learning ability, minimal concern of management are the main principles of work in the first month. Choose a time that is convenient for the manager, accumulate questions and once a day ask or decide together. The initiative is welcome, but only if you are 100% sure of your proposal or idea. The position “but I decided to do so” is not very welcome, because first from the trainee requires diligence, and only then – innovation.
Within a month, one can draw a conclusion about probable professionalism of the trainee. First of all, according to the class of drawing up and processing documents, careful preparation of answers to assigned tasks, selection of documents and judicial practice.
- Attend legal conferences, exhibitions, master classes, book presentations and similar events. Choose highly specialized, for example, in the field of concluding transactions, real estate, etc. – those that relate to your work topic. Do not miss the speeches of authorities in law, even if their speeches are not directly related to your topic.
- Take the training programs that are conducted by lawyer chambers. You can go there to lawyers without the status of a lawyer and students. You can refer to such events in a conversation with a potential employer, which will increase your “expertise” in his eyes.
- Take part in advanced training courses, which also take the form of conferences, master classes, seminars, roundtables, etc.
- Find the leading professional communities in social networks and join them. Save the bookmark links to the forums. Do not hesitate to clarify and ask questions if you do not understand something.
- About what you need to track the news in legislative changes, you already know.
- Do not seek immediately for a huge salary. No one will ever pay you big money until you prove that you really are worth it.
- Learn to listen and clearly formulate questions and conclusions.
- Train assiduity and watch your eyes: you will have to read a lot.