The Heritage Public Library is part of the Maryville County Public Library System, a 12-branch system with headquarters in Maryville, Alabama. The Heritage Public Library serves the city of Clarke and the surrounding area of about 30,000 residents. The new, 25,000-square-foot library was built in the fall and winter of 2017 and opened on January 27, 2018. The citizens of Clarke are proud of their library’s sleek, modern facilities and friendly, experienced staff whose mission is to serve library patrons to improve and enrich the lives of its users through information, education, and recreation.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Selects develops and maintains library materials and collections for children, young adults, parents, and educators
- Ensures the young adult collection contains relevant print and digital resources aimed at the specific interests and needs of the teens in the community
- Instructs young adults in information gathering, research skills, and digital literacy skills
- Creates an programming that is of interest and attracts children and young adults to use the collection and resources
- Develops and implements programming for children and young adults including after-school programs, summer reading clubs, children’s story time, and other special events
- Establishes and maintains an effective working relationship with the area’s school librarians
- Promotes children and young adult library programs and services to the community
- Provides training for library patrons and staff
- Provides friendly, courteous assistance to all patrons with information regarding the use of library materials, services, and equipment
- Attends professional library conferences, professional development, and reads professional literature
- Attends and participates in library staff meetings and discussions with relevant ideas
- Other duties as assigned
The person in the position of Children and Youth Services Librarian reports to the Assistant Branch Manager and is under the general supervision of the Branch Manager. This person is responsible for working with the Branch management staff to ensure quality programming and service in the Children and Youth Services Department. The person in the position of Children and Youth Services Librarian may supervise clerical and part-time staff as well as volunteers.
Minimum Qualifications for the Position:
Education and Experience:
Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited college or university. Three years of professional experience with children and young adults in a library environment. Three years of supervisory experience in a library environment. Or, any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the essential functions of the position. Knowledge, Ability, and Skills: Ability to express oneself orally and in writing. Excellent people and communication skills with a service attitude. Ability to communicate and relate to children and young adults. Extensive and current knowledge of young adult literature, audio, and visual materials, and electronic resources. Ability to manage and direct the work of staff and volunteers.
Physical Ability: Able to carry and shelve books and perform other common library functions. Ability to operate a computer and keyboard at an efficient speed. Able to regularly lift and move materials or items weighing up to 40 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Salary and Benefits: The salary range for this position is $45,931 – $74,777. Insurance coverage available – medical, dental, vision, life. Generous paid time off – 10 paid holidays, 2 weeks vacation, and 5 sick leave days per year.
Maryville County Public Library System provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Maryville County Public Library System complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. Qualified candidates are encouraged to complete an online application and attach a letter of interest, a current CV, unofficial transcripts, and at least three professional references on or before Thursday, March 1, 2018.