Job description is simply summarize job’s duties and requirements, and states the essential responsibilities of the job. Job descriptions are differ from company to company. Job descriptions can take many forms but they are typically have at least four parts:
Job summary: this is an overview of the position, with brief description of the most important functions, because this will be the first thing applicant read.
List of job function: this section comes with more detailed description of duties.
Requirements section: list of important requirements like education, certification , and experience necessary to do the job.
Other information: this section should provide any other important information about the job position such as location, working hours, travel requirements and so on.
The benefit of using job description
When it is the time to create new position, job description makes the task easy in hiring and interviewing the right person. It lets the employees know exactly what they have to do in their job. Job description help in determine what kind of training employee needs to perform better and improve the employees morale .Measure future performance. Job description helping in terminate the employees who do not perform their job as it is, and keep the employees who perform their job well. Job description helps the company plan for the future.
The use of job description
Job description sometimes considered as usual document for new staff, subsequently put in desk drawers and largely forgotten. over the time jobs change, duties change or disappear. but the original job description stay the same not updated. Job description can use as interview tool by build set of interview question based on job requirements. Job description can be used to market your job online and attract the talented candidates who use networking sites. clearly job descriptions designed to the particular objectives for which they are to be used, are an important elements in three personnel processes in each of which they serve several aims, these processes are:
- Selection, recruitment and induction
- erformance management
- Job evaluation
Job description for selection , recruitment and induction :
- to provide information necessary in determining the selection criteria;
- tell the applicant about the nature of the job;
- ensure that the new staff understand the main purpose of the job and its position in the organization.
There are two basic documents forms for effective selection and criteria:
- job description which sets out the main duties and tasks of the job
- person specification which sets out the person’s skills, knowledge and education
The selection criteria must be realistic in relation to the nature of the job.
Job description for performance management:
In appraisal system there are objectives that are set and assess either task-focused which is relating to the job, or employee- focused which is relation to training and development.
Job description can be used as checklist for considering performance in the job as a whole.
Job description for job evaluation:
There are several job evaluation ways and all rely for their validity on build the evaluations soundly on true information about jobs. job descriptions provide the main source of this information, although their format and content differ with the kind of job evaluation scheme being used.
Job description as management tool
Job descriptions give you the main role of the employee, specific details about the job. As a management tool it gives the important information to access if an employee is doing that job perfectly. It also serves as the standard of work that employees are required to perform. if the roles of job is clearly defined, it will allow the manager to be straightforward about the employees performance whether their performing right or wrong, also protect employee to fall in many mistakes . Job description helps the manager to create performance criteria to identify what deficiencies that employees have, and help them to correct them.
Job description as HR management tool
Job description is an essential HR management tool which is made to improve the performance of organizations and individuals.
The HR council has built up a profile for major occupation In small business that available to be used and accustomed By whoever needs it. A detailed well written job description provide a better understanding for the incumbent:
- Ensuring that the work handled by employees is goes with the organization’s mission
- Helping management clearly identify the most suitable staff for new duties and realigning workloads.
A good job description for organization contribute in its effectiveness by:
- Their tasks and responsibilities
- The relative importance of their duties
- How their job contribute to the mission, goals and aims of the company
Job descriptions considered as a basic tool for most HR management tasks:
- Job descriptions are used to improve a recruitment campaign that obviously expresses the responsibilities that must be completed and credentials necessary by the organization for the job;
- Based on the responsibilities , tasks and qualifications that defined in the job descriptions, it will simplify to determined interview question and hiring criteria;
- The job description helps the employee see how their position relates to other positions in the organization;
- Job description helps to identify the weakness and strength of the employee and what kind of training he needs to perform well;
- The job description can be used by the employee and the supervisor to help establish a work plan;
- Job descriptions can be used to develop a consistent salary structure, which is based on relative level of duties, responsibility and qualifications of each position in the organization;
- The job description and the work plan are used to monitor performance;
- If an employee is terminated for poor performance, an accurate, complete and up-to-date job description will help the organization defend its decision.