StudyBoss » Elections » An Evaluation Of The Presidential Debate Between Hilary Clinton And Donald Trump

An Evaluation Of The Presidential Debate Between Hilary Clinton And Donald Trump

Table of Contents

Presidential Candidates Go Head to Head in First Debate

America sat on the edge of its seat as two scrutinized people of the country stepped onto the presidential debate podium. The 90 minutes were jam-packed with controversial discussion while voters watched in anticipation.

Everyone spent the time either ranting at their screen or fact checking left and right. The “facts” are polarized on both ends, making it difficult to follow what’s true and what’s fabricated. From comedy sketches to talk show segments to twitter battles, everyone had something to say.

A live fact checker PolitiFact shows the statistics regarding the validity of each candidate’s statements. Hillary Clinton scored a 60 in the ‘true’ category, while Donald Trump had a measly score of 12 true statements throughout the 90 minutes. Trump also scored a 48 in the ‘pants on fire’ category with Clinton at 6.

Of the statements Hillary made, 72% of them were ranked as ‘half true’ or more, whereas Donald lagged behind at 29%. Another fact checking test ran by journalists for John Oliver offered a different statistic of their overall statements made during their political careers, finding that 13% of what Hillary has said is untrue, still beating Donald’s 53%.

The 2016 Election has been the most high strung and intense election in history, with both sides so polarized that a noticeable divide has grown. Such unrest in the country stems from the fact that during the primaries, only 9% of the nation voted for either Clinton or Trump. The people who couldn’t vote, the people who didn’t vote, and the people who voted for other candidates make up the remaining 91% of America stuck between the hardest electoral decision the country has ever made. The election day will be one for the books.

A Defense of My Story

My article features multiple news values despite how brief it is. It includes impact, conflict, timeliness, and prominence. Impact is found in the simple fact that this election is going to influence many aspects of how our country will be shaped over the next several years. It will determine which people will be elected to the Supreme Court, House of Representatives, and Senate. Conflict is another obvious find because of the polarization between Donald’s antics and Clinton’s shadiness. The article lacks proximity, but so will most articles on the debate seeing as it took place at a university in New York. My story doesn’t need proximity. I think my story has timeliness despite the fact that the debate was awhile ago because it wasn’t so much about the content of the debate as much as it was about the fact checking that followed. Prominence is another easy news value to achieve, as the people in my story are currently the hottest topics in America right now and this election has more heads turning than ever before. Novelty isn’t as much of a theme in my story because nothing unexpectedly incongruous occurred. My article has engagement due to all of the voters in the country teeming with anticipation, causing them to turn their TV’s on and watch the debates with a critical mindset. Solutions as a news value are not in my article because I don’t present a solvable issue, I simply state various facts surrounding the debate’s content. Where my article lacks a news value, another one compensates the loss. Therefore, there is a good balance of news values in my article.

Cite This Work

To export a reference to this article please select a referencing style below:

Reference Copied to Clipboard.
Reference Copied to Clipboard.
Reference Copied to Clipboard.
Reference Copied to Clipboard.

Leave a Comment